Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Florentine Life

Ciao! I know it has been awhile since my last post, and believe it or not, I haven't even travelled anywhere! This last weekend was our first weekend in Florence since we first got here and it was so nice to just relax and be a tourist in our own city! On Friday, my best friend Alex who is studying in Rome came to visit. Some of her friends from her school are also studying in Florence so she stayed with them. On Friday night I met some of her friends at this Mexican restaurant called Tijuana for happy hour. The drinks were huge and the nachos were not bad!
Then we went and pregamed at her friend Lucie's apartment (which literally looks straight out onto the front of the duomo) Then, we went to a club called 21 where I got to meet more of her friends and she got to meet all of my roommates. We also went to the secret bakery that night....I think that was our third trip so far. You have to go everytime someone visits! The secret bakery we went to was near Santa Croce and you give them a euro and tell them whether you want Ciaccolata or Crema and it's literally heavenly and warm. Here's a pic from one of our visits...
Then, on Saturday I met Al at the duomo and I took her to my favorite neighborhood bar where Mikey and I go every morning before Italian class to get our Americanos. We got cappuccinos and then walked around some more and I just showed her where I go to school and stuff. Then, for lunch I took her to one of my favorite panini shops called Antico Noe where I made her get the number 9: turkey, brie, caramelized onions, and spicy sauce. So good. Then I took her up to my apartment to see if my roommates had woken up yet. Then they wanted to get lunch before we did our duomo climb so we went to another panini shop called Antico Vanaio where the sandwiches are HUGE. Almost too big for me. But they were delicious. Then we made our way to the duomo where Al ran into her friends from school who were also going to climb it so it worked out that we were all up their together. What a view. I only got a little claustrophobic on the way up, but other than that I was ok!
On the way up...Colleen is
holding it together.

Hello Firenze!


Roomies at the top of the Duomo!

After the duomo, we toured the Santa Croce which is a beautiful church very close to my apartment. Michelangelo, Galileo, Macchiavelli, and Dante are buried inside. It was so cool to see the different tombs.
Machiavelli's Tomb
Dante's Tomb

Galileo's Tomb


Michelangelo's Tomb
Courtyard View
Courtyard

After Santa Croce, Al wanted to go meet her friends up by the Piazza Michelangelo to watch the sunset from across the river so Mikey and I walked her there since our favorite church is near there where we go on our runs. We saw the most beautiful views....

Then, later that night we went out to dinner to one of the restaurants in Florence known for their Florentine steak which is with a blueberry sauce. We went with the four of us, our guy friend who was visiting from Cornell, and Alex and her friend Danielle. We ordered a pasta sampler for the whole table where they brought out five different pastas in rounds including: a gorgonzola risotta, a broccoli pasta, a caramelized onion ragu sauce, a Bolognese sauce, and a spicy arrabbiata sauce. Then for the main entree...everyone ordered steak except for me who ordered chicken. I did try the blueberry sauce and I thought it was a little overpowering. My chicken was drenched in this amazing port red wine reduction that was everyone's favorite sauce. The presentation was lacking but the flavor was amazing.

Then, that night we went to a night club called Space which was crazy and fun. We met a few Italian creepers but had a blast.


Sunday morning, I met Al for breakfast at this place called The Diner which is pretty much like an American diner in Florence. You can get omelettes, pancakes, french toast, iced coffee. Everything is pretty delicious but everyone speaks English and it is rare to see an Italian there. But, it's still worth it every once in awhile. Then Al and I walked around and she bought some leather gloves near the Ponte Vecchio and then we went to mass at Santa Croce at 6pm that night. Overall, it was a great weekend in Florence and I can't wait till my family gets here in 10 days so I can show them around!  Tomorrow we leave again for Brussels, Belgium where we are going to this huge concert called Sensation on Saturday...can't wait!!

xoxo,
Alli

No comments:

Post a Comment